Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Mankind anxiously waits...

Monday, May 10, 2010



In a recent interview with Bill Ladson from MLB.com, Nationals president Stan Kasten had this to say regarding the impending arrival of highly touted pitching prospect, Stephen Strasburg:


"I wish I could give you a day. I just can't, although it's soon. It's getting here fast, and it's very exciting."


I couldn't help but think of our little poppy seed when I read this....and it got me thinking....Poppy has a lot in common with the rookie right-hander from San Diego State University who can throw a baseball 100 miles per hour. Here are some similarities that I could come up with:




  • They are both scheduled to arrive around the same time. Strasburg is expected to be promoted to the big league club in time for the June 4th homestand against the Reds. Poppy's due date is May 31st.



  • They are both going to cost their organizations A LOT of money. Strasburg signed a contract guaranteeing him $15.1 million over 4 seasons. I can sum it all up in one word: Daycare.



  • The entire world is anxiously anticipating their arrival. Nationals fans NEED a star and Strasburg fits the bill. The closest we ever had to a big-name player was Alfonso Soriano and that was only for a hot second. Poppy is the first of his generation. We can't wait.



  • Both boys are bound to make others jealous. The 21-year-old Strasburg already makes more money than anyone else in the locker room before throwing a single major league pitch....Carrie and Mitchell are also used to hoarding all the attention...



  • I'll be watching A LOT of both of them this summer. Strasburg every 5 days and Poppy every single day.


In no way am I trying to EQUATE the arrival of our first child to the uprising of pitching phenom Stephen Strasburg, but you have to admit the similarities are a bit eerie.


If you can think of any more, just write them in the comments section of the blog!

1 comments to Mankind anxiously waits...:

Unknown said...

I'll bet Strasburg and Poppy are, and will be, the apple of their father's eye!

Post a Comment